If you want to adjust the barbarian class to better suit your own campaign and playstyle, then consider these variant dials.
If your campaign supports multiclassing, apply these modifiers to use the barbarian as a multiclass option:
- Minimum Requirement: Strength 13.
- Proficiencies: Shields, simple weapons, martial weapons.
- Brutalities: You can't use any mastered brutalities until you are a 3rd-level barbarian.
If you want to make retraining a little more significant or costly for the barbarian, try using these options.
To change your brutalities, you must be in a safe sanctuary—such as a village, town, or city—where you are able to concentrate on your training.
To change your brutalities, you must have access to appropriate facilities—training grounds, practice weapons, sparring partners and mentors, etc.
Short Rest Recovery
This supplement emphasizes the use of long rests as a primary recovery mechanic. But if your campaign is more dependent on short rests, try this alternative class table:
You recover all expended brutality points when you finish a short or long rest.
Some brutalities feature hard-wired size limitations—but if you want to tie these limitations to character size instead, apply the following changes:
- Large Creatures: Your size category + 1.
- Huge Creatures: Your size category + 2.
- Gargantuan Creatures: Your size category + 3.